DIG Cafe, Newstead on Sunday 19th April at 3.30pm.
The people of Donald in north-western Victoria are renowned for their success in building a vibrant, energetic and innovative community. Faced with ongoing drought, loss of young people to the city and tough economic times they remain undaunted.
In recent times they have initiated a range of great projects including:
· A Group Self Building Scheme
· Use of saline ground water including for production of sea weed, salt water fish and fodder
· Sunrise Industries like Biodiesel, Olives, Farm Forestry, Mineral Sands, Fish Farming and alternative crops.
· Establishing a Sister Council relationship with Hobson Bay City Council.
· Supported new local agricultural Industries – Turkeys, Poultry, Pigs, Squab, Quail, Sheep, Emu and meat processing
· Local action to address climate change and drought
· ……….. and lots of community projects that have enabled their town to thrive socially, economically and environmentally
Join with us and other local communities to find out how they do it ….. and share ideas for maintaining the vitality of small towns and communities.